Workers’ compensation benefits are under attack in North Carolina. It is imperative that anyone who cares about injured workers in our state sign this vital petition—Do Not Hurt NC Injured Workers and Their Families. Act today, March 23, 2011, before new legislation is introduced to the NC General Assembly as soon as tomorrow.
Do you realize that this legislation, if passed, could affect any NC citizen who has been injured on the job? Affected citizens include people who are already suffering, their families and anyone in the future who might require workers’ compensation.
In only a matter of seconds, you can make a difference for thousands of injured workers and their families in NC. All you have to do is sign the petition online today.
Big business and insurance company lobbyists are pressuring NC state representatives to introduce this bad bill.
BUT NC CITIZENS AND WORKERS CAN FIGHT BACK!
The negative reforms that might be introduced as potential law will:
- Artificially cut off the number of weeks of compensation benefits an injured worker can receive even if he or she is still disabled and unable to work!
- Deny workers the right to choose their own physicians and take away their right to ask the Industrial Commission to approve a treating physician of his or her own choice.
- Strip workers of their medical privacy rights by allowing the insurance company (and the insurance company’s attorney) to talk to workers’ doctors without the patient’s prior knowledge or consent.
- Allow insurance companies to cut off injured workers’ compensation based on the claim that the worker isn’t cooperating with the doctors they selected.
- Force workers to take any type of job if they cannot return to what is now considered “suitable employment.” That means that instead of refusing a job similar to what he or she had at the time of the injury (like a nurse, plumber, construction supervisor, etc.), a worker would be required to take a job that might offer fewer benefits, less pay and/or an excessive commute to work.
- Cap any lost income resulting from this imposed job change and stop benefits regardless of the injured worker’s ability to return to work.
You can also call or write your NC Representative and NC Senator. If you or your family is an injured worker, tell your representatives how a reduction or end to your workers’ compensation benefits would impact your life and your family. How could you afford to provide for yourself and your loved ones without your workers’ compensation benefits?
Getting in touch with your representatives is easy and it’s your right and privilege as an American! If you live in North Carolina, follow these TWO simple steps to find out your legislative district and the names of your representatives:
1.) Click on this link: http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/GIS/RandR07/Representation.html
2.) Scroll down and enter your zip+4 code to view your NC State House and NC State Senate representatives!
a. If you don’t know your zip+4 code, check your NC Driver License or NC Identification Card OR go to the USPS website (http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/welcome.jsp) and enter your street address to obtain the zip+4 code.
Even if you are not an injured worker, consider what would happen if you were injured someday. Could you live with the conditions presented in this proposed bill? If not, take a stand! Sign the petition, call or write your representatives and spread the word right now!